Types of PI Damages You Can Recover in FL
Thousands of Florida residents suffer different injuries resulting from other people’s negligence each year. In these situations, the party or parties responsible for causing the accident and injuries should be held fully liable for all of the losses that injury victims incurred. It is important to seek help from an experienced Brandon personal injury attorney if you believe you have an injury claim.
Common Damages in Personal Injury Claims
When you file an injury insurance claim or lawsuit against the party that caused your accident, you seek a certain amount of damages. Damages compensate you for the various losses you experienced due to your injuries, and damages can vary widely from case to case.
Some common damages sought in personal injury cases include:
- Medical Costs – A victim can recover all the medical expenses they incurred for injury-related treatment. This ranges from emergency transportation to physical therapy to ongoing future treatment when needed.
- Lost Earnings – Many injuries prevent people from working for at least a short time, and some injuries can completely alter your career path. Whether you lost wages for a few hours, days, or the rest of your life, you deserve to recover damage for these missed earnings.
- Pain and Suffering – Many people can seek damages for physical and emotional pain and suffering. You should request compensation for all the pain caused by your injuries, as well as for mental and emotional trauma, including injury-related depression, PTSD, or phobias.
- Permanent Injuries – Some injuries have permanent effects that impact you for the rest of your life. You should seek proper compensation for permanent disabilities, impairments, and disfigurement that stemmed from your injuries.
- Punitive Damages – If you file a lawsuit, the jury might award you punitive damages in limited circumstances. Punitive damages apply when the at-fault party’s conduct was egregious, including drunk driving or intentional violence.
Some people need an emergency room visit, a couple of days off work, and a few weeks of physical therapy to recover. Other people incur life-long losses due to permanent and disabling injuries. No matter what your losses might be, you deserve full compensation from any negligent parties.
Establishing Responsibility for Damages
Before you can recover any damages, you will need to sufficiently prove that the designated parties were responsible for your injuries. Liability often stems from negligence, and you must show that:
- The party owed you a duty of care
- The party breached that duty of care
- The breach of duty led to the accident and resulting injuries
- The injuries you suffered caused them recoverable losses and/or expenses
You must support claims of liability before you can recover any damages at all.
Seek Help from a Brandon Personal Injury Attorney Right Away
If you sustained an unexpected injury, you want a Brandon personal injury lawyer from Carman, Bevington & Finegan, P.A., on your side. We handle cases involving many types of injuries and losses, so please contact us online or call 813-654-3444 for your free case evaluation.